First off, head over to the Podcast thread and request to get on.
This is just for the folks who aren't sure how to record, how to sound the best, and what the process is.First off
, All editing is done on Sunday, that's Sunday my time. When doing a guest voice, I absolutely NEED the results of your recording by Sunday afternoon.
When you're recording, I totally recommend Audacity
. It's free, it's stable, it's virus free.
Here's a link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
A good mic helps, but don't freak out about it. Mostly what you need is to...
1. Avoid being too loud. I can always edit the volume up, but if you're so loud in the mic that it causes distortion, I can't use it. (side note, the quietest gust voice so far was Goss, but she cam out fine when I was finished. MAN, she was quiet.)
2. Watch your 'p's and 'sss'es. If your mic is right in front of your mouth, the "pah" and "Ssss" can cause distrotion. No one likes hearing that. Best to put your mic under your chin or to the side.
3. Don't stop for takes. If you mess up, calm down, read the line in your head, and try again. This isn't a race. Don't hit stop, rewind, and start over, just keep going. However fast you think you need to talk, go about 3/4th slower. Whatever you send me WILL be edited, so making mistakes is not an excuse.
4. Watch background noise. If someone comes in and bothers you, treat it like a mistake and keep recording when they leave. Don't get mad, just take a breath and do it again.
5. Oh god, oh GOD OH GOD, Have fun! Please please please have fun. If you hate recording, tell me, cuz it's gonna come out in the WAV file you send me and no one will like the results. Get into character, be as silly or dark as you want, and just have fun.
6. DEADLINE is always 7:00pm Maryland time
. I'd really like it sooner than that, but I need at least 3 hours to edit the Worlsend episode and 1 hour to put the video together. After 7:00pm, I can't do that and be able to sleep the same night.Technically notes: Maryland runs on UTC/GMT -5. Durring Daylight Savings time it is UTC/GMT -4. Here's a link to my time.
When everything is recorded and you're ready (assuming you're using Audacity) you can go to File>Export and choose "WAV" as your option. Send it to me via
natchevil @ gmail . com
If you're worried about size, we can work that out. Seedlet often sends me multiple emails with the same file. Month used "Dropbox" and sent me a link. That worked fine.
If you have questions, I'm always on Facebook and I check my Email about once a day now. (maybe once every two days)
Feel free to add your own thoughts.