It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to record a guest voice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

First off, head over to the Podcast thread and request to get on.
This is just for the folks who aren't sure how to record, how to sound the best, and what the process is.

First off, All editing is done on Sunday, that's Sunday my time. When doing a guest voice, I absolutely NEED the results of your recording by Sunday afternoon.

When you're recording, I totally recommend Audacity. It's free, it's stable, it's virus free.

Here's a link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

A good mic helps, but don't freak out about it. Mostly what you need is to...

1. Avoid being too loud. I can always edit the volume up, but if you're so loud in the mic that it causes distortion, I can't use it. (side note, the quietest gust voice so far was Goss, but she cam out fine when I was finished. MAN, she was quiet.)

2. Watch your 'p's and 'sss'es. If your mic is right in front of your mouth, the "pah" and "Ssss" can cause distrotion. No one likes hearing that. Best to put your mic under your chin or to the side.

3. Don't stop for takes. If you mess up, calm down, read the line in your head, and try again. This isn't a race. Don't hit stop, rewind, and start over, just keep going. However fast you think you need to talk, go about 3/4th slower. Whatever you send me WILL be edited, so making mistakes is not an excuse.

4. Watch background noise. If someone comes in and bothers you, treat it like a mistake and keep recording when they leave. Don't get mad, just take a breath and do it again.

5. Oh god, oh GOD OH GOD, Have fun! Please please please have fun. If you hate recording, tell me, cuz it's gonna come out in the WAV file you send me and no one will like the results. Get into character, be as silly or dark as you want, and just have fun.

6. DEADLINE is always 7:00pm Maryland time. I'd really like it sooner than that, but I need at least 3 hours to edit the Worlsend episode and 1 hour to put the video together. After 7:00pm, I can't do that and be able to sleep the same night.

Technically notes: Maryland runs on UTC/GMT -5. Durring Daylight Savings time it is UTC/GMT -4. Here's a link to my time.

When everything is recorded and you're ready (assuming you're using Audacity) you can go to File>Export and choose "WAV" as your option. Send it to me via

natchevil @ gmail . com

If you're worried about size, we can work that out. Seedlet often sends me multiple emails with the same file. Month used "Dropbox" and sent me a link. That worked fine.

If you have questions, I'm always on Facebook and I check my Email about once a day now. (maybe once every two days)

Feel free to add your own thoughts.

Post subject: Re: How to record a guest voice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm 
Watchful One

*cartwheels in* All good advice! My added advice-

:arrow: Recording alone is probably a good idea! Even if you don't get stage fright, you will probably alter how you are talking in the presence of other people. This isn't always possible and some people might not actually be affected, but yeah. Try to record alone.

:arrow: Make sure there's enough time in between takes. Like maybe two or three seconds. This is good both for Grim so he can edit shit easier, and so that you aren't worrying about the next line before you've finished this one.

:?: CORRECT ME ON THIS IF I AM WRONG MIKE but usually the more worried I am about how I did a line, the more versions I record and send off to Mike so he can either pick the best one or edit a few together to make something he likes. For all I know this drives him insane and is a massive waste of time. I think for every line I have recorded I've sent off at least 2 versions of it. I usually try to read it in two different ways. For my longest line in episode 6 I sent off 4 versions (many more were recorded, !LAUGHING OUT LOAD!)

:arrow: Read the whole thing aloud before you record, including all the narration and everyone else's lines. It's a good warm up and gives you a feel for the tone of the piece.

Look at my Art.
Buy my Art.
Read by Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Lv.17

iunno. I think recording multiple takes would be better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Evil Seedlet wrote:
:?: CORRECT ME ON THIS IF I AM WRONG MIKE but usually the more worried I am about how I did a line, the more versions I record and send off to Mike so he can either pick the best one or edit a few together to make something he likes. For all I know this drives him insane and is a massive waste of time. I think for every line I have recorded I've sent off at least 2 versions of it. I usually try to read it in two different ways. For my longest line in episode 6 I sent off 4 versions (many more were recorded, !LAUGHING OUT LOAD!)

Nah, you're not wrong. As long as the lines are in order, it's pretty easy for me to edit your takes and pick the ones I like best.

Even if you're Month, who read his lines straight through, started another recording, and read his lines again as another take, every line was still in order, so it was easy for me to pick and choose.

Don't go overboard, tho. If I get, like, 10 takes, I'll start getting annoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Welp, the show'sa gonna be a day late. Duckling computer was all funky when rendering her file. Gonna send Seedlet an emergency PM in case Duckling can't get her computer to render the WAV file right. It's taking her poor machine 4 hours to do? Really? Cripes!

Soooo...Sorry, Duckling, I gotta put up our first Shame video.

Edit: I CANNOT USE WMA FILES!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm 
Lv.23

Seriously though people. You need to try and experiment with this. We are not voice actors, and I am not yet a singer (beginning vocal lessons this week). So try. Again, and again. Until you feel it is right. And if you have the inclination to right something weird, do it. I mean try saying the lines of an innocent little girl, in the voice of a mad scientist ("And now grandma, I will kiss you goodnight, and go to bed to wait for Santa to come! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" or something like that). Everything to have fun. Stage fright is your enemy. You can only fight it with ubercoolnes (which you do not posses if you are here) or comedy.

Remember; failure makes for some great laughs!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I don't care if you sound good or not. oki, that's a lie, but I would rather you have fun with the acting. You know. Just relax and do it, yo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:32 pm 
Watchful One

loads of great advice here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Impr ... _Recording

Look at my Art.
Buy my Art.
Read by Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

O_O Ooooo...I must read this in detail.

Hey, I don't know if you can visit (Something Awful varies when they alow unregistered lurkers) but SurreptitiousMuffin linked me to this thread. I'm about to go through it in detail, but it's full of good info about Mics and stuff.

<_< Mostly about getting work as a voice actor, but I skip over that stuff. I want to at least feel like my reading has gotten average, first. Right now, I'm crap.