It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elephant in the Room: Leagal stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Copyright laws. How do they work?

While I admit I do plan to make some money on the Arkhamites Project, I'm not planning to get rich. My wish is more a community project. A collaboration of creative minds and encouragement for new writers, artists, musicians, etc.

To repeat; I'm not trying to steal your ideas for profit.

BUT, I think we need to protect your ideas and mine.

So, here's my thoughts on the subject.

1. First and foremost, I plan to credit all contributors who's touched each story arch in the comic. If you want you're real name included, tell me.

2. While money will be involved, I expect only to be paid for the artwork. Specifically, I'm releasing 1 page for every $10 I receive in donations. No different from the commission comics. Also, some designs, like the Arkhamites Logo I may sell in T-Shirt form.

3. For the main problem, I was thinking we could keep the pages under a Creative Commons license (note: I'll have to read it in earnest later), which means the comic is free for anyone to share as long as that make no money off the project, credit where due, and share and share alike.

9_9 This means the comic may never see true print, because I'd have to print other people's works and then we would have to revisit the deal. I must admit, I'm inexperienced with this field. Contributed ideas are worth crediting and a community project makes the legal owner of IP (Intelectual Property) tricky.

I also kind of planned to open this as a separate section of the website to share stories and maybe a wiki-like page.

I'm totally open for comments, suggestions, and questions. Does anyone know how Copyright laws would apply here and how we can protect ourselves?

Post subject: Re: Elephant in the Room: Leagal stuff
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 am 
Lv.17

To reach this part of the dungeon, the party needs to include a Lawyer, or another class with the Legal Paperwork ability equipped.

But I think a basic Creative Commons license would be oki for now. Since it's a strictly non-profit idea at the moment, and a group project at that, it does make any kind of copyright more confusing.
Sorry I can't tell you more, grim. Legal paperwork gives me the heabie jeabies.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Woof.

From what I understand of at least protecting ourselves, we need to at least warn people what the plan is.

For now, with exception of my art (commission) and T-Shirt designs, let's say we are working under a Creative Commons License with the following rules:

*ALERT ALERT ALERT*
The following is not meant as legal binding, rather the underneith is a sample for legal jargon for discusion. Blah Blah Blah.

(Listed from http://creativecommons.org/)
(Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0))

"Arkhamites by Mike Rojas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at Natchian Manor."

"You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

With the understanding that:

Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Public Domain — Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
Your fair dealing or fair use rights, or other applicable copyright exceptions and limitations;
Apart from the remix rights granted under this license, the author's moral rights;
Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights."

---end sample---

Notice I put in a Non-Comercial use clause. That's to keep good ideas from being snatched by corporate.

9_9 What does Natchia think?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:59 pm 
Natch Necromancer

Sounds like it should work, you would need some kind of lawyer to help keep it water tight though. Remember that laws are tricky and if corporate wants corporate gets, with enough resources. If anything they will just break into your house and hold your hand to a piece of legal documentation while you sleep, causing you to sign a contract as they jiggle your arm a little.

Don't give in, nothing is hopeless until you give up. I'm just expressing some angsty humor against our corrupt machine.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.