It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worlsend: Story ideas and submitions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

If the Characters and Map of New Arkham were made of silver, The story suggestions are golden.

Here's the rules for submitting ideas.

1. The current year is 1921.
2. Magic MAY be used.
3. The Story setting must always end in New Arkham.
--(You may start the story anywhere. Eventually, the story must come to New Arkham)
4. Please only use the characters listed in the Character Thread.
5. Although we are reaching for a Lovecraft feel of stories, the story need not be a horror tale.
--(No, you don't have to read Lovecraft or anything else to submit ideas.)

And that's it.

Be as vague or as detailed as you like.
Don't be afraid of doing something wrong, here.
There is no limit to the number of ideas you may submit or the format.
Remember that this is not a competition. We're all here for the same reason; To help build New Arkham into a great setting.

And one last thing. If you wish to write your own story or start your own project using New Arkham as a setting, I'm ALL for it. You are allowed.

Post subject: Re: Arkhamites: Story ideas and submitions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 pm 
Lv.17

Here's a simple core idea.
Something is literally burrowing from mind to mind throughout New Arkham.
Each time it moves to a new burrow, it takes with it a few minor memories of the last "host".
Nothing big, mind you. Simple things that aren't important. Things like the name of the street the host use to live on before coming to New Arkham, or where the host left their pen. The problem isn't really noticeable, except that in a city like New Arkham, even memories of the basic paraphernalia that come from being alive are often important.
And of course... each time the host changes, the memories become slightly more important. Eventually, something BIG will be forgotten, and that would be very bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Interesting. Sort of like a parasitic meme? (Semi parasidic?) And the reasons it take some of the memories is that it must erase it's existance from the previous owner.

O_O Like a living spell chant! Oh, Z! I like this idea!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm 
Lv.17

:ess: Love it. <3 That's a really great idea! Shit, wish I had thought of sometihng that awesome. !LAUGHING OUT LOAD!.

Also had an idea, but will sound like an idiot until I understand more about sin and the four beasts.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:50 pm 
Lv.11

Location: The eight level of the Seven Levels of Hell. (Louisiana)
What if that something actually came from the depths below New Arkham? Like caverns long forgotten?

I love ideas like that. And what if one person actually forgot one of the rules, like they can't have sex?

Hmm, How about we have the mafia come into play, only a coincidence that they should breeze through New Arkham, (running from the cops, perhaps?) Only that the mafia causes something to stir up. Perhaps they break a rule, like running from the children. Better yet, meet their demise by the children's hands. This could be the same branch out for my characters blood, or one that David coincidentally angers.

At Theifofdreams, and grim
The library of New Arkham should hold it's own secret book. One that only only a few would know of. Maybe Felix catches wind of this, and finds out? Or guards its secrets. just a suggestion for theifofdreams.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 am 
Lv.17

Glad you guys like it. I was going for a bit of a parasitic meme type thing, but also alittle of mind-parasites.
Looks like I gave you a cool idea, though, so I don't mind how it works out specifically.

Involving the mafia in New Arkham sounds like a potential for disaster. Do EET.

Interesting idea, Sai. And that is completely in keeping with the idea of the character.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 am 
Natch Necromancer

The first character I was thinking of was a mobster, so I obviously support the idea of at least one of those blokes/she blokes surviving long enough to be considered a resident.

Minor story or story flavoring idea. Copied here after posting in the involvment thread.

'Now arriving at New Arkham'
Fox wrote:
New arrivals (I wouldn't call them all people or human, who knows where he gets some of the residents) getting onto the bus out of town note that the driver seems to be in a trance, sometimes laughing and smiling while other times stern or vacant. He will rarely speak more than the destination when asked anything out of town, "New, Arkham. To Arkham... Ooooh Arkham." Once we arrive in N/A the driver is himself once again, no longer trance like and opens the doors saying, "We've reached the main station, all for the pleasant small town of New Arkham please disembark." (sounding routine and well practiced, not the slurred speech of the madman who had made wild sharp turns on the highway here. Little do the passengers know that trance and rapid accelerations/braking and turning is the only reason they made it through the highway alive for the distorted reality could have done worse than what the bus wreak would have done.) When stepping off of the bus for the first time arrivals can see the very well maintained and strangely modern (for the roaring twenties, and for a small town) bus service station greeting them after their shaky bus ordeal. The friendly staff of the main service station will happily recite the history surrounding the building's construction in May and July of 1920 and even go so far as to point out it is now the newest building in town. A blonde tourist checker/hostess greets customers with a white smile while saying things like, "The service building is ideal for gathering together with others you've met off the bus and organizing your thoughts and belongings. Be sure to buy any needed travel amenities from our clerks before hitting the town. Have a pleasant visit, the end is near."

Let's say there is a bus station, only the building that serviced the station isn't where is should now be. Upon taking a step outside the service center it utterly vanishes for that person. If they noticed and wheeled around they see that it's gone but the lovely greenery decorating the front is still there, though it too -bit by bit- decomposes and withers into dust the further they get from where the building should be. Grass browning and drying up, whole trees sand blasted into ghostly shapes standing on undisturbed ground. One young lady picked a flower on her way out, it decorates her hat now, having yet to vanish if it ever will. Instead the ground where the main building used to be is unbroken. It is as though the station is as it was at the start of the year 1919, with just the metal and wood bus stop shack with it's little blue and gold sign. It and the distorted images of phantom trees are the only thing sitting next to that bus, driven by that man, waiting on the edge of town next to a building that never was. Maybe buildings need a history to survive here, they need memories of life before to weather whatever has happened.

When taking the bus out of town, if it is possible to leave, it is one of the preferred methods when chiefly concerned with safety. If it isn't possible to leave by the bus when you attempt to ride it out you find yourself arriving back in town to the sound of the doors opening and the driver saying, "We've reached the main station, all for the pleasant small town of New Arkham please disembark."

Culmination of information, 'New Arkham Arriving'
I have further explanations but I feel they reduce the quality of the events by trying to rationalize everything. Ignore or embrace the following as needed. People who can leave the town have not reached the end of their stories out of town yet (their life isn't 'over') but people who have reached the end are stuck in N/A and when trying to leave they have to fight off the same kind of trance which afflicts the driver when he leaves. They find themselves returning to town after errands they don't quite remember doing. In this way people trying to escape N/A are actually doing the opposite, spreading it's influence.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Woof. Wish I read this entry first.

But I get the idea.

9_9 Previously, in another thread, I posted that people may come and go as they please, but citezens of New Arkham are always called back. I think you're talking about the story of one who tries to leave New Arkham but feels the pull of return. Am I right?

Also, I'll add a story inthe mix Friday about a new arival in New Arkham.

Mike's Story Idea:

Diana Silverlips arrives in New Arkham with enthusiasm, a love of Dancing, and a loaded revolver. She lost another to New Arkham, but knows nothing about it, forcing her way into the town. The real story is about David Mitch Marshal who finds Diana oddly familiar. She parties on, saving the day, hiding a secret pain, and David is unable to keep up. Eventually, given one of his visions, he comes to realize Diana Silverlips looks just like his departed wife, Dinna Marshal.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm 
Lv.17

Second suggestion (stemming from the presence of Taxi)
Holy crap, I'm on a creative bender! SOMEONE STOP ME!

Parts of the city are sinking into Mason Lake, and people who live near there keep vanishing.
There aren't any signs of violence, and shortly after they vanish they usually are found on the shore, though missing parts of their body, including whole limbs. They don't know what happened, and typically die of natural causes (hypothermia, blood loss, and shock) shortly after. People along the shore front are getting nervous, and at this rate it's only a matter of time before Cowardice is summoned in full force.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:41 pm 
Lv.13

The old theater in town once was a grand stage, with fantastic original plays, often dark and grotesque, written and directed by a stark-raving mad genius. He had always claimed the plays came to him in dreams, whispered by voices from the deep, which was all naturally hearsay. Then, one night, the writer and many of the regular actors of the theater suddenly vanished with no warning or note left behind.

Now the theater is being retrofitted for the silver screen, and an aspiring movie studio is being started up again. Will history repeat itself with this new band of artists? Will some sort of ancient secret be uncovered? Will the fate of the previous occupants ever found?

(I dunno, may sound a little cheesy, but it's just something that popped into my head)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 pm 
Natch Necromancer

@Viduus
I like it.

@Z :eff:
Are the fish stealing hu-man limbs?

@Grim
grimwit wrote:
... I think you're talking about the story of one who tries to leave New Arkham but feels the pull of return. Am I right?
Yep. I'm trying to make it mysterious without it being confusing, I'm not used t writing mystery at all. I just wasn't using the right information at first. Plus the male bus driver might not exist as he isn't important, I doubt he even has a class and could just be a figment or part of the bus. I'd imagine anytime Rexia is driving during the day she would be somewhat crabby, but far more welcoming to customers while the sun is up as she has only seen her demon cars at night.

I'm thinking that by leaving the town lets people wreck the normal world and help raise New Arkham's power without the Arkhamite knowing it. Then when the town feels they have done enough it works on calling them back. This is all just theory though, maybe an Uncanny would have a better idea on it based on his occult knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 am 
Lv.17

Viduus wrote:
[...]

Ever hear of the book "Moving Pictures" by Terry Pratchett?
This reminds me of that book. Vaguely. As long as there's no statue that guards the theater or anything, though, we're good.

Fox wrote:
@Z :eff:
Are the fish stealing hu-man limbs?

Who knows? I prefer to leave my story ideas intentionally vague, so that grim can fill in the main characters, motives, villains, and metaphysical doomsday devices to best fit the setting.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:45 am 
Lv.13

Theifofdreams wrote:
Viduus wrote:
[...]

Ever hear of the book "Moving Pictures" by Terry Pratchett?
This reminds me of that book. Vaguely. As long as there's no statue that guards the theater or anything, though, we're good.

Heh, yeah, I actually read through all of Discworld a few month ago, though it was not at all on my mind when thinking about what I wrote.

And hey, there's no talking animals either so we're good! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Fox wrote:
I'm thinking that by leaving the town lets people wreck the normal world and help raise New Arkham's power without the Arkhamite knowing it. Then when the town feels they have done enough it works on calling them back. This is all just theory though, maybe an Uncanny would have a better idea on it based on his occult knowledge.

I should talk to you guys about New Arkham in the character thread. I'll make that one of my To Do's today, after my Sketch Session. Not unlike your bus, New Arkham has a personality all itself, and a will that calls to the despairing and the broken outside of her boarders. 9_9 In fact, I'm prolly going to add your Bus anyway, cuz I feel bad by having the town as a critter, but no the bus.

Bleh.

All you need to know for now is the town wouldn't care for the real-estate, but the souls would be welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 pm 
Natch Necromancer

Looking forward to Eet.

@Z
I like the way you think.