It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worlsend: Characters
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Parden My Dust.

I am currently making entries into the Worlsend Codex (Story bible for the town) and that includes characters. I'll update this every little bit as I go. Please excuse me if your character doesn't show here, yet.

Characters Used so far in Canon.

(Characters first seen in the New Arkham Story Line)

David Mitch Marshal

David Rich Marshal

Melody Redmark

Dinna Marshal

Taxi Smith

Jebediah Termite

Blood Head

Trevor Clever

Melody's Mother
"Give Up. Give In."

(Characters First Seen in Chasing Children)

Big Jim
His Knife is named Sai. His Cleaver is named Brutus. They talk to him.

Diana Heartbloom
David's "Maria" to his wife's "Mary." She's Texan and fears for children, but was born from a wish.

The Boss
King of Big Jim's children. Smokes a cigar and his body is ash and skull.

Mayor "Sane Peter"
(First in Worlsend Gate Experiment)

John Davis
(First in WG-EP01)

Mitten's the Hand Spider
(First in WG-EP01)

Aldion Gougoth
(First in WG-EP02)

The Wolf
(First in WG-EP02)

The Bus
(First in WG-EP03)

Rexia
(First in WG-EP03)
The Bus Driver.

Madam Lyssa Capulet
(First in WG-EP04)

The Lillians
(First in WG-EP04)

Felix Greggorson
(First in WG-EP04)

Cora
(First in WG-EP05)
The Librarian

Allix
(First in WG-EP05)
He is insectoid under the vale.

Nelsy Nitelight
(First in WG-EP06)
She thrives from wounds.

Chef Sedric Cheezeworm
(First in WG-EP07)
Chef that runs the Mutton Glutton Family Restaurant and Memorial Services.

Character Pool (Yet to be used in Canon)

The Beast of Fear

The Beast of Hunger

The Beast of Wrath

The Beast of Lust

Telegram Lacky (T.L.)
(Created by Goss)

Henry Faustus
(Created by TheIfOfDreams)

Ferret "No-Name" Mc'Artr
Marty "The Ox" Mc'Artr
(Created by TheIfOFDreams)

Jerald Weismann

Martin Fandrick

Victor H West
(Created by Ghast)

Post subject: Re: Arkhamies: Characters
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

How to create a Character.

1. At any time, everyone get's to keep one live character. (Some characters may die, but that's for later)

2. New Arkham only call to people who's world have ended, because the world is always ending.

New Arkham is kind of like Silent Hill. It draws in the broken and the guilty. The Weak and the wounded. There, all monsters in New Arkham (like in Silent Hill) are demons for the people with in.

3. Pick a class for your character. (Optional) There are currently 5 classes.

a. A Self
These are people who have lost themselves. Why did they do? Who are they? What do they THINK they are? Selves can work magic, but never enter New Arkham with magic.

b. An Other
These are people who try to fit in, but something is wrong with them. Everyone just wants to be loved, but these people obsess over it. There is always something physically "Different" about them. Other's have limited Magical ability.

c. An Uncanny
These are cultists and magicians who excel at magic and wizardry. They know something the other's don't and try to protect people from such knowledge.

d. A Monster
There people are evil. They known they're evil and are oki with that. In fights, they are deadly. Thank God they don't understand magic.

e. A Hero
These are people who, for their own reasons, want to protect others. They're willing to sacrifice themselves for the better good, but always feel like they're trying to redeem themselves.

4. Finally, if you want, create demons for your character. (Optional)

Guys, go nuts! Creativity is all about not being afraid to be wrong. Whatever you imagination can acquire, I'm willing to add.

Some Ideas (tl;dr just some stuff that happened)
Arkhamites will take place in 1921 America. Here's some stuff that may get your brain running!

Ford Model-T Cars are only $400!

Pro Baseball, America's sport. Only $1 a ticket!

Shave and a Hair cut. Two Bits. (or 25 cents)

Anual House payments, only $1000.00! <_< Not including Property Tax.

Radio is new with News and entertainment! Every modern man has one in his home, now!

These new fangled Moving Pictures are becoming all the rage!

Will Vaudeville Theater ever die? I hope not!

Great Zues! An Electric Frying Pan! Just another wonder of the modern age!

Rorschach Ink Blot Test invented.

Just last year, women can Vote! Here comes another sexual revelation!

No Booze Allowed in the US of A. You're gonna have to find a Speak Easy (hidden bar) to get your grog.
Also, Rise of the Mafia Gangs!

Here's a weird one. They sell Tea in Bags now. I guess to make tea easier to make.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Weird thing about Prohibition. My mom used to sing me this song. No Joke.

We're coming, we're coming, our brave little band
On the right side of temperance we do take our stand
We don't use tobacco, because we do think
The people who use it are likely to drink

*Chorus*
Away, away with rum by gum, with rum by gum, with rum by gum
Away, away with rum by gum, the song of the temperance union

We never eat fruit cake because it has rum
And one little taste turns a man to a bum
Oh, can you imagine a sorrier sight
Than a man eating fruit cake until he gets tight

*Chorus*

We never eat cookies because they have yeast
And one little bite turns a man to a beast
Oh, can you imagine a sadder disgrace
Than a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face

*Chorus*

If you wash your hair, never rinse it with beer
Because if you do, you'll get foam in your ear
And if there's one thing a young man must dread
It's dating a girl with a head on her head

*Chorus*

If you pick your navel, don't do it with a knife
Because if you do you'll get the shock of your life
Oh, can you imagine a site quite a horrid
As a man pulling out his umbilical cord

*Chorus*

We never eat peaches, because peaches ferment
And peaches ferment at the least little dent
Oh can you imagine a sorrier sight
Than a man drunk on peaches he thought were alright

*Chorus*

We never eat oatmeal, because oatmeal is mush
And one little bite turns a man to a lush
Oh can you imagine the pain of a ma
To watch little junior act just like his pa

*Chorus*

We never chew toothpicks because we recall
That wood ferments into wood alcohol
Oh can you imagine a sorrier sight
Than a man chewing toothpicks until he gets tight

*Chorus*

We never drink water, they put it in gin
One little sip and a man starts to grin
Oh can you imagine the horrible sight
Of a man drinking water and singing all night

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 pm 
Lv.11

Location: The eight level of the Seven Levels of Hell. (Louisiana)
Aldion Gougoth

Aldion was never a people's person. He preferred to work in solitude. Like his future, his past is cloudy. No one knows much of Aldion because of his habit of going unnoticed. Some say his wife was killed in with Mafia related buisness, others say his sister died by his hands. The truth is, Aldion killed his beloved bother, of blind rage because he had murdered Aldion's wife after she refused to leave Aldion for him. Aldion never felt true love, until he met his wife. But that turned to be fake, because he found out about his wife's affair after he killed his brother, and after he found out his brother was a important figure in the Mafia, and was even a cop. So, knowing that the Mafia, and the NYPD would be after him, Aldion jumped on the nearest train, leaving behind nothing, and heading into the unknown. Arkham's call was heeded by Aldion eventually, and he took up residence in Nocturna. His World Ended when he found out he never had love all along.His whole marriage was just his wife's way of having a wealthy life, while dating other men on the side, playing Aldion like a fiddle. Since then his world has turned to an endless night. The butler observed this, for while Aldion was looking out to the lake on the second floor balcony, he saw the reflection of the moon and stars bouncing off from the water in Aldion blue eyes. This would have been fine, except it was midday at that time. Aldion visits Viddus Theatre three times a week, and has been know to take strolls around town once or twice a month with the butler accompanying him.
He has had frequent visions polluting him at irregular intervals ever since he moved into Nocturna, and hates when people are overly repetitive.
Caucasian with sky blue eyes, and always wearing a black suit. He wears a tiny wind up pocketwatch around his neck as a necklace, and it seems the watch is forever stopped at 12 o'clock.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Admin

O_O Cripes. What an Opening!

I'll see what I can do about sketches, Sai.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:18 pm 
Lv.17

Felix Gregorsson; An Uncanny

Felix grew up egocentric, and egotistical. He knew better then everyone, and wasn't afraid to say it. Unfortunately, he was usually right. This was usually because of his clear bibliophilia, which did not make him any easier to like. Somehow, though, a woman did like him. Elizabeth "Eliza" Guards was almost his polar opposite: unsure of herself, kind, and naive. They met at the small local drugstore, and after a long, slow relationship, they married. It was clear they loved each other very much, and everyone was happy for them... Until Eliza was killed. It was a simple case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time (In front of a local mob front at the time of a hit), but Felix was devastated. Still, he was determined to live on for his wife, and even began to do small deeds of kindness, to keep her alive in his heart. That lasted only long enough for his library to be destroyed by fire (The arsonist was never found). Every book he treasured burned, including several that were no longer in print, and at least two that were the last copy in the world.
With his world gone, Felix moved to Arkham, where his driving love of books of all kinds revealed to him a new world: That of the magical and the occult, which he absorbed as quickly as he had any other knowledge in his previous life.
He has since adapted to the odd, and unique, life of Arkham by slowly crippling every emotion he has, except for the love he still holds for knowledge, and his love for his lost wife. This duality of emotion and emptiness causes him to occasionally lose control, and fall into a violent rage. Felix has, so far, managed to keep these episodes private, thereby avoiding any unnecessary accidents or Sins.
He visits the Arkham drug store on a semi-regular basis, chatting with others occasionally, or simply remembering the time he spent with Eliza in a similar setting, before his world ended.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ooo! Nice characters to do things with.

9_9 Hey, Theify. Would you mind if Taxi Smith ran the Drugstore?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm 
Lv.17

Yeah, I figured you'd want something like that. And the idea of Felix seemed pretty fun.

Not at all.

And I completely forgot to ask what you meant by the Demons (Optional) thing. Did you mean personal demons, (As in emotional driving forces of unhappiness) like I went with, or did you mean external forces that seek to torment the character?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Theifofdreams wrote:
And I completely forgot to ask what you meant by the Demons (Optional) thing. Did you mean personal demons, (As in emotional driving forces of unhappiness) like I went with, or did you mean external forces that seek to torment the character?

In New Arkham, they're one and the same. I won't lie; New Arkham is very much based on Silent Hill. Unlike the game, however, I DO have reasons and histories as to exactly why New Arkham is actively evil and full of demons. There is no "other world" yet, tho (Unless someone has an idea for it). Figured that'd be a bit much.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm 
Lv.7

I love this idea, but my mind is not good at creating. And I'm not gonna add a half-assed character to it. So although I intend to make a character, I'm not gonna do so until I get a good idea for what my character would be. Currently I'm thinking a librarian or such, an "other", but don't have much more then that.

Current entries are very nice though. Hopefully you'll see mine soon. I'm also debating how much, if at all, I should base this character on myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm 
Lv.17

Mistress Lyssa (Last name unknown) A Self.

Mistress Lyssa's past is shrouded in mystery. She came from europe with a suitcase full of cold, hard, american cash and it's suggested that she has mafia connections that got her here, but nobody knows for sure. She is a bubbly and enigmatic woman who demands attention, but also respect. She gives off an air of someone you wouldn't want to cross, however has a sad weakness for innocents wronged. Never able to have children, she cares for her girls in the way a mother would, but all the while her business savvy and strict rules keep everybody perfectly in line.

Rumors have flown of her previous marriages, however many there have been. It seems her husbands just keep showing up dead.

Lys has an uncontrollable temper that stems from her own personal anguish. It is relitively easy to push her buttons. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" would come to mind, but her deepest triggers are things that reflect on her own misgivings about her barrenness and her spinsterness. (Yes, I actually just phrased it like that.)

She is not sure just what drew her to New Arkham, however taking some steely financial advice from Bloodhead (First person to speak to her upon her arrival)(<--Grim- You oki with that?), decided to convert the towns old Academy into a Brothel/showhouse. Strange how selling sex and entertainment fits so well with her perverse character, yet caring for the women settles some of her maternal needs and urges.

People who ask too many questions about her past end up dead. This is not always the doing of Ms Lyssa. Afraid to become truly close to anyone lest they end up dead, Lyss smokes copious amounts of the reefer to hide the emotional torment.

Somehow, decent quality liquor seems to appear in her bar consistantly through mysterious connections. For a price though. Money is usually of little object- She takes payment in any form as long as there is a fair trade. I would not reccomend trying to pay the girls with anything other than hard cash.

I'd imagine her to live like a LIBRA, fair, airy, and aloof. But always taking in the balance. Always perfectly aware when the balance is off.

Her bubbly front and general happy demeanor can confuse many people, she feeds on attention, however if you try to get too close you will find yourself terribly wronged.

This is all I have for now. What do you tihnk?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 pm 
Natch Necromancer

That's one dangerous lady. A quote comes to mind, "When you come into the presence of a leader of men, you know that you have come into the presence of fire - that it is best not un-cautiously to touch that man - that there is something that makes it dangerous to cross him." -Woodrow Wilson

Good work Ducky, I hope not to make her mad.

Character (characters?)
The Bus; an other
An empty metal being, The Bus is an odd one, craving a feeling of wholeness and purpose it seeks out passengers with or without a destination. It's hard to say where this bus came from or why, one day the bus just started running the streets as though it had always been there. New Arkham managed to draw in this machine for it's own reasons. Residents don't know if the bus is it's own entity or merely an extension of the town itself. Either a familiar or cohort the bus is rarely trusted resulting in it regularly being passed up for a jog instead. Maybe one day some brave hero will trust it. The Bus is overly modern for 1921 hailing from events in the not too distant future. Enclosed in a sleek steel shell the interior is both roomy and comfortable, places to stow bags are abundant. Relaxing music normally plays from the radio over two large speakers in the overhead, one forward the other in the very back. An oddity worth acknowledging is the absence of the last two rows of chairs in the very back, the spot looks like there was an explosion which tore the back-end off. Despite the missing seats and charred floor panels the skin of the bus is solid and not the slightest bit weathered, as though whatever caused the damage didn't happen. This interior damage is a scar left over from an event caused by a flaw in that model's design which caused it's company to lose everything when they had to decommission their entire fleet of brand new rigs. What life does a machine have? When it's life ended New Arkham drew the bus's broken and abandoned self into it's service. The destroyed back end melded back together resembling it's original shape.

Realizing that people tend to avoid buses that drive themselves it has enlisted the help of Drivers over time. It currently has two, one man who's life is coming to an end and one woman who has gone mad knowing she is a minion of New Arkham. The Bus remembered her as it's original driver from when it was still whole. On her last day driving outside of New Arkham her bus was involved in a terrible wreak. A flaw in it's design, an impressively large gas tank with walls too thin resulted in the back end of the bus being torn apart in an explosion once it had caught on fire. She had died in the explosion, as she tried to get everyone out shrapnel tore her head clean off. She wears her hair long and ragged, trying to hide her decapitated form as she is still a little embarrassed by it. She is aware enough to realize it is the past and lashes out at anyone trying to ride her bus and it's cursed future.

The Bus's demons:
Cars. They are called by their traffic violations. Follows too close. Erratically Changes lanes. Slams on breaks. Finally the worst one, Runs the stop sign (who caused the wreak which ended it's life). The phantom cars run the streets, mostly at night during the woman's shift. She combats them fatefully each night, only sometimes seeing daylight again. The cars are dangerous to anyone, The Bus and it's first Driver are just their favorite victims often passing up easy meat to chase the bus instead. In this way the female driver is a kind of tragic hero, normally chasing after the sounds of the car horns to make sure they aren't hurting anyone.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.

Last edited by Fox on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

@Duckling

(<--Grim- You oki with that?)
Yup.

So far, I'm cool with all of it, Duckling. 9_9 Is four girls to work at the show house too few? Considered them extras.

Also, after I finish the character design, I'll make a note that Lyssa and Blood Head are acquaintances.

@Fox

Herm. Technically, that IS two charactes, but we'll bypass that by adapting.

9_9 The bus isn't a character, it's an item (I thinkg. We're defining a character as someone who could have a story arch based around them is needed. The decapitated woman sounds like the character, and as far as your description goes, and it also sounds like the cars are the demons for the woman.

If the bus is the character, how does it express itself? Could just be a haunted bus that is controlled by the town? Either way, I'll sketch out the man, woman, and bus.

I've already finished Aldion and Felix. Working on The Bus...people and Mistress Lyssa. Sketches coming today.

Eventually, I'll add New Arkham as a character for my own reasons. It IS out to get people, and has a personality all it's own. <_< The Beasts are pets.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:26 pm 
Lv.17

Well, this is annoying.
My lovely muse, may she forever flourish, left me alone for a couple years. Now she's pestering me with cool ideas for characters for New Arkham.
I've gotten: 1 crazy sociopath, 1 tortured prof. who went mad from the revelation, 1 run away child, 3 different sorts of heroes (including 1 angst ridden) and two generic background characters.
And that's in three days with plenty of distraction.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
Natch Necromancer

I had a thought about the bus expressing itself over it's large speakers if it ever manged to gain enough mystic ability. The radio and it's way of traveling without a driver would be some of the limited magic an Other might posses. But if it can't be a character that's fine, just it existing as an unknown is very interesting to me. Who knows if it's working for the town or if it's just an unfortunate ghost linked with the female driver, who's name is Rexia Lantern, "king of the night shift."

I had a funny thought today about someone trying to get the wheel away from her, needless to say she lost her head. I guess she is a Hero class.

The male driver is less important, if needed at all. I've read more of the threads and realize he probably can't be here because the town likes people who's lives are over. I do kind of like the idea of a nameless driver responsible for any trips into or out of town, with Rexia running the line at night in town. Asleep during the day normally. I choose her as the character, and the bus is a haunted item (could be originally controlled by the town, Rexia would try to free it). There might be random unexplained drivers during the day that the bus seems to have coughed up, phlegm and all, such as: Zombies, Inmates, No Driver (clean seat), Big eyeball monsters, A Bear...

So after you're done fighting or not fighting a bear the bus can coast around to your destination.
This is a bus with a rear engine that I think looks rather close to my first thoughts.
The New Arkham Bus's engine was blown out in the explosion which claimed the back seats. So it's movement is due to it's haunted nature. Bonus being there is extra space in the back, Wooo! The death of Rex and the passengers who didn't get off in time resulted in it's fleet being scrapped, thousands of people became unemployed and had their names linked with the dangerous model of bus.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.