It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arkhamites: Map room.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm 
Lv.17

oki, i've been thinking about the whole sins thing. Showpub is interesting because it's something that will entice everyone, but only those who give in to temptation will actually be commiting a sin. Will having the rooms on the grounds bring hell down on the entire establishment, or will it be a direct hit only to those who partake? Also:

Will all my girls die? Maybe i'll just have in rotating hookers whom I buy, use, and then dispose of myself.
But keep my good dancing girls. Ugh, so much to think about. GRim I need a more detailed explanation on Sin and the four beasts so I can shape my characters accordingly. I'm going to be flirting with danger quite a lot it would seem, but I like it that way.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 am 
Lv.17

grimwit wrote:
9_9 I think Taxi Smith owns the Soda joint, right now, and he isn't 100% sure what humans drink. You can get interesting flavors, like chum. ^_^ Is hooman drink, yes?

Long as he doesn't really change too much on the menu, no worries. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:06 am 
Lv.24

I have some questions, and information, and stuff.

my first question is:Is it that the town was existing in the 1920's and most of the population has left during the boom, so it was a pre-1920's architecture that now has the items you would have acquired in the 1920's, so nothing quite fits right, or is a 1920's constructed town, a railroad suburbs, streetcar suburbs and early automobile suburbs? It seems more town that isn't going to grow, and stays it's size.

What major structures are nearbye? You haven't listed a transportation hub or type of income generated in the area, or proximity to a city, so I don't know the details of city growth. Well you did say that it only absorbs lost souls, but there appears to still be a financial structure here, and food still comes from some source, or do they not eat? Is there farmland nearby? there is a lake, is it a natural lake or created by a dam to make a reservoir? I don't really know a lot about the landscape, are there hills? mountains? what is the weather in this region like? does it vary a lot, do we worry about snow?

some basic things i would assume about a preexisting town evolving to meet the needs of the 1920's
- the homes wouldn't have their own garages, cars would be parked on the street, or if there was a garage it would be an additional separate building. They would be different homes either designed by an architect for the land, hand built by the owner, or ordered from a catalog and put together by local contractors.
- since the town was pre-existing, gas stations were placed near the edge of town to fill up and often attached to a mechanics shop.
- the roads would be more narrow, no sidewalks but maybe raised board walkways off the previous dirt roads that are now no longer dirt, which may have been removed. more pedestrian pathways and back alleys, more bricked groundcover.
- many of the buildings are older homes, or buildings that were repurposed to their now current occupancy.

if it is a town that most of the construction happened in the 1920's
- the homes would start having garages that match the homes, and a lot of homes were built in cookie cutter forms.
- with the rising useage of gas, gas stations were placed closer to the central part of new towns
- the roads would be well made and have wider lanes for cars. less pedestrian pathways.

Are you going to fill in the bits on the map we don't claim? are they just not going to exist? can new buildings just pop up since this is magic, so even if they don't show up now, they can appear later?

all towns need
town hall - depending on the size of the town, this could also be the judicial center.
post office - depending on the size of the town and it's importance for transportation, it may have a telegraph office attached. also, this may even be attached to the town hall.
gas station-
drug store - drug stores of this time period were more general stores
Barber shop
grocery store
bank
law enforcement
fire department
restaurant
sanitation
water

optional amenities
movie theater
alcohol supplier
newspaper
electronics store -by your radio's and phones, though these are expensive items and may just be ordered in by catalog through the drugstore
telegram office: if not attached to the post office or town hall. telegraph office's were available in almost all towns during this time because of the banks.
grocery store

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Holy Moobly! Uh...These are all good questions, some of them may be beyond my ability to answer.

Let's try.

First off, New Arkham isn't really in the world, tho people from the world come to it. Imagine it's in a Dream World. It's state would be the State of Decay (and I plan to run with that pun).

The town was founded in 1781 which should put it somewhere in New England. Tho there is a curse, it seems to function as a community/city. There are exactly twice as many people as characters in the character thread (In case I need extras)

Railroad: Unknown. No one has added it.

Major Structures: Unknown. No one has suggested. Mason Lake, maybe?

Nearby Transportation hub: Unknown. Maybe you could suggest something?

Near bye cities: I was thinking of adding a port town to the north called Queen's Galley, but figured I'd wait until it seems right. We would add buildings and characters there, too, in the same way, but I wanted to get New Arkham rolling first.

Food: Yup. People still need to eat sleep and defecate here. That means there are probably farms near by. No one has suggested them, so I'll just assume they exist somewhere until someone wants to say something. 9_9 It won't count it as a building, since it won't really be in town.

Is the lake Natural?
Yes, it's a small lake, about the same size as the town, but further north, I imagine there is a bay for the fore mentioned Queen's Galley.

Terain+ Weather
Very hilly, with small mountains to the west. It rain a little more than normal, but not enough to created obscene amount of marshes. Just enough to be gloomy.

Am I going to fill up bits of the map no one claims?
Yes and no. It will be assumed there's a building there, with in reason, for others to claim if they join later. Worse case scenario, I'll give everyone an additional building to place.

^_^ I knew I should'a got your attention. Now I have a check list for the town. Thanks, Goss Goss!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Alright, @Duckling

Here's the way the Four Beasts work. They are based off of Gluttony, Cowardice, Lust, and Wrath. When one of the four sins is committed, there is a small chance (1 to 35 against or 2.7%) that the appropriate beasty will show and up wreck shit up, with exception to Cowardice (The Fourth Beast) who shows up and everyone rips there eyes out in fear. Lust? He shows up with a posy of demons and they rape everyone to death. (Like proper rape. That kind I won't draw in detail)

If you open up a strip joint or pub or whatever, we have to keep a couple things in mind.

1. The pub would be a Speak Easy. Tho Law enforcement obviously wouldn't last long in New Arkham with Wrath around, but you still may want to keep up appearances.

2. As far as I can tell from research, there were strip joints and brothels in 1920's America. If not a Strip joint, then a Clip Joint (but those are a type of scam).

Does that mean that you cannot have a strip joint?
No, you can open one. In fact, you may assume people would want to show up, drink beer, and be entertained just to ease the tension of the town.

But you would not want to open a brothel. You would be very protective of your girls, too, and they of themselves. If someone screwed up and had sex, the fear of the beast showing up would send people into a kind of panic. >_> And that may lead to the Fourth Beast, Cowardice.

So, Yeah. Open the place up. I'm cool with it. ^_~ Added temptation will make the stories better for it!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 pm 
Lv.13

Out of curiosity, does New Arkham have some sort of industry? As in, would there be train lines that run nearby to deliver/pick up goods, or would it only be a passenger thing?

(I may or may not kinda have a soft spot for trains and may or may not have spent many many hours playing Railroad Tycoon >.>)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

I have NO idea.

9_9 Let's see. According to info I have in my sketch book, the town was founded in 1781 by four families escaping British persecution (or so it's told). Towns tend to make industry out of surrounding resorces...so...

6_6 What's around New Arkham that makes sense? Woods? Farm land? Culture? Herm.. Oil seems unlikely, given its hilly nature.

For now, I'm going to say Grain, just because I can't think of anything else, and Grain is pretty safe. I'm open to suggestions, tho.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:50 pm 
Lv.13

grimwit wrote:
I have NO idea.

9_9 Let's see. According to info I have in my sketch book, the town was founded in 1781 by four families escaping British persecution (or so it's told). Towns tend to make industry out of surrounding resorces...so...

6_6 What's around New Arkham that makes sense? Woods? Farm land? Culture? Herm.. Oil seems unlikely, given its hilly nature.

For now, I'm going to say Grain, just because I can't think of anything else, and Grain is pretty safe. I'm open to suggestions, tho.

Been looking at mining history of New England, and apparently stone mining industries were pretty big and happening at that time period. Slate, granite, marble, limestone, that sort of stuff. Coal is probably a no since it also requires hills and was really only available on the western regions of Pennsylvania, though mines/quarries don't especially need to be in town as they were often set up miles away. Still, towns made for better points for railroads as warehouses could be built up there to store until pickup.

I suppose the other question is how active the industry in New Arkham is. In a state of decay, does anyone still bother to plow the fields or chip the stone? Do trains still rumble in and out of the freight yard, or are the warehouses empty, the tracks barren and overgrowing with weeds? The 20's were still a growing time and raw resources could still be very valuable, as this is all before the Great Depression (and complete explosion of the railway system actually contributed to the start of that).

PS: Also, since I came up with the movie theater I'm not really sure if it's my place to be thinking of another place to build up, but I think it might be an interesting thing to explore.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:25 pm 
Lv.11

Location: The eight level of the Seven Levels of Hell. (Louisiana)
^ Maybe this may have lead to the curse on New Arkham? digging into the ground and such, finding what needs not be found?

But, ofcourse, you probably have the reason N/A was cursed , Grim.

Anyway, does New Arkham have sewers?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 pm 
Natch Necromancer

I'd imagine so, it would make sense that most of it is left over from 1700s though. So nothing like what we have now, it's probably a combined sewer leading to a water treatment plant and overflow area. Whoever adds the water plant would probably choose more details on the sewer system. I'm interested in eventually getting to place and talk about the rail yard but I have a better idea first thanks to that list Goss made.
goss wrote:
all towns need
town hall - depending on the size of the town, this could also be the judicial center.
post office - depending on the size of the town and it's importance for transportation, it may have a telegraph office attached. also, this may even be attached to the town hall.
gas station-
drug store - drug stores of this time period were more general stores
Thanks Goss Goss, I choose the Gas Station!

"Rexia's Workshop and all purpose engine repair!" reads the sign out front.
It boasts an open refueling bay out front with two (!) pumps. Re-purposed from an old two story brick house built in 1794 it's location at the south corner of Vulturpayn Rd. and Egulmass St. plus it's sturdy nature made it an easy choice for it's current use. It has fallen into the hands of the resident Rexia, who's renamed it, as the need for it's bay to work on her bus was handy. The lower portion has been modified over the years as the property changed hands. The upstairs still serves as living quarters. Estimated look in 1798 after the first remodeling turning it from a double into a single.
(just and example, I don't own this image)

Most owners have been obsessed with altering the lower floor to suite their wants for generations. The resulting first floor has been through many changes and a collection of random equipment over the years now resides in the yards and basement. The first change came when one resident forced the other to move out and claimed the whole building. They feverishly bricked up the front door and set about turning it into a barber shop, but it's place on the edge of town and the history surrounding it's founding made it unpopular. The first owner had to sell it. Rexia seems to be unaffected by similar madness as the building was already a decent mechanic's shop/gas station before she arrived and claimed it from the previous owner who had grown too old to keep it running. The old man now works the pumps and is basically still the owner until he dies.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 am 
Lv.24

I've decided to claim the post office/telegram office. i'm working out the details now.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Rexia's Workshop has been added.

You may need to refresh for the map to update.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
Natch Necromancer

Whoa, kind of creepy. Rexia's Workshop is labeled 'J' on the map. The first letter of my first name, hadn't planned on that one...

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

It means you were meant to be part of the town.

Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:41 am 
Lv.24

goss wrote:
I've decided to claim the post office/telegram office. i'm working out the details now.

Post office/Telegram office
right next to Dreamy's Drugstore and Soda Joint along Ravenlov St.

The look
It is a classic red brick building with romanized arch windows, and two double doors on front lobby which projects. The doors open into the small entrance lobby where the post office boxes are, and then there is another set of doors, one labeled in, the labeled out. When you go in through the door you see a rectangular room that has a line separator to follow, keeping those waiting nice and orderly. There is a small island in between the lines where those waiting can write down information on their packages if they wish or write on telegram request slips, along with pens attached to the small island. the line ends at a barred teller window that has a dutch door to the right of it where the top is double hinged. There is a curtain behind the teller so you cannot see past her, for the teller is the mail mistress, and she is sitting on a chair. The door is for the teller to be able to hand over larger packages and to enter the lobby area if it becomes necessary. After meeting with the teller you would then be pointed out the door that says out, with your mailing needs taken care off. This is also where you would pick up any telegrams you had received or place any orders, and it would be relayed to the telegram office in back.

What you don't see is behind the door, for that is only for the mail mistresses eyes.
Back there you would see after entering is directly to your left the teller curtained off part which is flush with the wall, then behind that layers of shelves coved in packages. In the middle you would see the wood burning stove with the pipe to the ceiling, which often sends off colors that fire doesn't normally have. on the back wall its bricked up to some little windows at the very top that can be opened for ventilation but are opaque so you cannot see in or out. There is a small door in the back along the right wall, and a small staircase that heads upstairs to the living quarters of the mail mistress. below the staircase is a desk with a telegraph machine, and and the front wall are the instruments that go with it. the floor is kept open and clean for easy movement of packages.

The mail mistress and the telegraph person(gender unknown) both live in the small upstairs apartment above the post office. It is a two bedroom apartment with one bath, and the living room overlooks the street. the kitchen has a view of the New Arkham City Hall and Municapla Building, and the bedrooms overlook the drug store.

so i don't know if you could visualize it from my writing, so here are pics! (please forgive the crappyness of my drawings, i did then in a hurry and without much effort cause i'm just giving an idea, feel change as you wish whatever you want)

outside of the building
Post office box's
Telegraph machine setup
Double hinged door
dutch door

floorplanishes

some information:

The mail in New Arkham is always delivered in a timely fashion. Very very punctual. It always opens on time, the Head mail mistress always arrives 30 minutes before the opening of the post office and will close exactly on time, customers or no. She always has a friendly smile for customers during working hours, and is possibly the happiest person in existence. The mail is delivered to the post office at the back door.

Since Arkham is so small and she is the only employee of the post office, she has created post office boxes for free for all residents so that she doesn't have to deliver the mail every day to their homes. They can pick up their mail anytime of day with their mail key from their post office box, and anything left over on Sat will be delivered by her in her trusty little mail scooter. She especially had her scooter's bags enchanted to be a vacuum space to hold non living things. If you Ordered living Items they have to be picked up in person. This is all to make things more cost effective. At first her proposal for these stipulations were refused by "those who pay for stuff" but after being locked into a room with her, and 20 hour long powerpoint on the pro's and cons, and eating her cake and cookies, they give in and paid for things because they realized thats she "was going to be saving them more money than they could ever dream!" they would say in a voice of someone hypnotized if ever asked why the mail mistress always seemed to have those pricy spells.

rules of new arkham mail:
1. Do not loose your post office box key
2. Your mail will only be delivered to your residence on saturdays between the hours of 11am and 4 pm
3. living items will not be delivered, you must pick them up in person.

The telegram office is also operated out of the post office. It is operated by a separate staff member who only handles telegrams, and nothing related to the post. Both the mail mistress and the telegram lackey live on the 2nd floor of the post office and they never invite anyone into their apartment. In fact people don't know if they've ever even met the Telegram lackey cause they have never seen who the person is who does it. They do know it is someone who can keep secrets though, for the telegram lackey is blood vowed that if they ever say what they have seen or sent on a telegram they will have to eviscerate themselves.

pics of scooters

hmm... thats' all i can think of for now for story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I fear the Mail Mistress.

:eff:

Anyway, that's plenty of info, Goss Goss. I'll alter the map when I can get back into the Library without catching fire. (It's hot, right now)

Really, you've done almost all the work for me on design.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next