It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arkhamites: The Plan and Getting you involved.
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, folks, I want to tell you about how I've become addicted to these commission comics.

I want to do a sort of Commission series with audience participation. The project will be called something like "Arkhamites." It'll work like this.

1. WE (capitol "we") make a town map. I have some basic road work down and a series bible in the making (outlining the meta plot). I'll post the bare minimum to give you an idea what New Arkham looks like and each person "places" their own building and what it does. Anyone who post may get a building, as long as you go into detail about it's history. It can be a home, a brothel, a firehouse (don't got one of those, yet) a privet school, or whatever you want.

2. When the comics start...

I'll start off with a 3 page set up of the town and what it means to live (a.k.a. survive) in New Arkham. Then, I'll post a thread for the next arch. I'll give 3 to 5 choices, letting you guys vote on the next story. In the thread, you may give suggestions like what characters you want to see, the location you'd want it in, and I'll start drawing out the story. I'll try to keep each story below 10 pages, 20 if it's ambitious.

The pages will be released the way I've been doing it. $10 will let lose a page, but that's not the minimum donation. As long as it adds up, I'll release the pages.

3. The Game.

I've been working on the game and am near a test copy. In the game, of course, you'll be allowed to make your own characters and I'll run a few games. Maybe even work out a weekly schedule once it starts.

Here's the important bit:
What happens in the game effects the world the story will use. If you accidentally the town, it'll effect future stories.

4. The format.

This will get it's own site, probably starting with a Blogspot entry or, failing that, I'll just put up an HTML page on my own website, the way Natch Evil was before someone helped with the web-code. Each image will probably show up in a %25 size, like the Natch Evil comic is.

Every so often, I'll release a PDF that has good quality images so you can print the books out if you like (with permission). After each page is bought, it's yours in any format you'd like. Eventually, I'd like to make Graphic novels based on the stories, but that's a ways down the line.

5. Sum up.

I want to do this project for about a year. If the money is good, I'll make it my main project. I may drop the Heart Mage Blog, but I'll still be doing the Natch Evil comics. The Arkhamites project will be its own beast. Mostly, though, I don't want it to be just my project. I'd like it to be our project, and I just make money drawing it.

Questions? Comments? Quements?

Post subject: Re: Arkhamites: The Plan and Getting you involved.
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm 
Lv.17

I would like you to explain more about the game part. I understand the interactivity just want to know more like what kind of game?

And I'd love to be in it! I would love to run the town pub/hotel and run girls out the rooms upstairs. Be musical and perma-fried. I can also be the town doobie supplier. !LAUGHING OUT LOAD!. Burlesque house. I want bitches grim. Anything that gives me pot, liquor, and bitches. Give me a couple days to write out the story behind it, I could write up a good one. I've always wanted my own grimy stripclub/hotel. Hmmm....

Also-What is it we're SUPPOSED to pay for a page- not what you'd settle for?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 pm 
Lv.7

I can run the local diner, specializing in esoteric meats (it's people, children mostly(they are very tender)),the building is old and was once the holding cells for the old police station, it looks old and slightly dilapidated, the small barred windows reveal a clean well kept interior with a long bar, open kitchen and several booths built into what looks like the old cells, a small neon sign blinks over the door denoting whether its open or not, the sign is never dark, and the proprietor seems not to need rest, all are welcome, at any time, but troublemakers tend to "disappear".

well, that's what i got, it probably sucks, i am not so good at creative writing.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:39 am 
Lv.23

Bookstore/comic/gaming store. With a secret still in the basement left over from the probation days. It still works and produces the liquor that is given to the clients of the bar when they are too drunk to make out between edible liquor and american beer. The rest later.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Woah woah woah, Hang on, folks.

I'm glad it went down, well. I figured you people wouldn't just jump in, but there are rules to creating the town, K?

So, let's back up a little: I'm about to start the thread for creating the New Arkham map. This is totally based on the comic that's already posted, which means we're talking about 1921 for time period.

But I'll get to that in another thread.

Next question, I think to Ducky: Basically, I'll draw the pages for the comic you people choose, but I'll only post 1 for every $10 I get, which is how the regular commission comics work. I'll keep you guys updated as to how many pages are drawn and waiting or how far behind I am.

Since you want to get started, I'll start the Map thread and talk about making characters or Avatars.

Edit:

9_9 I'm dealing with the Four Beasts and how they work, game wise, and god damn. Do not summon them.
1. There's a 3% chance you'll end up summoning them by sinning.
2. They can only be hurt by those involved with the sin.
3. God help you if you summon the 4th Beast. All rolls are nearly impossible when she shows up.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Double Post: More info.

I'm working on Phase two of the Comunity project, so you know, where you'll be able to make characters and set up relationships. This is the real meat of the concept I'm going for.

Right now, we have 6 characters or "Arkhamites" not including the one's there are avatars for. The first couple of posts of the Character Thread is going to be 1. A character map and 2. Chaacters with a sumery of who they are...

The community portion will be in how we (Capitol We) decide how they feel about each other. Example, will there be a love triangle going? Who hates who and why? Maybe someone will be a mentor for another.

Anyway, expect this tomorrow, I just now started a Character Tomb with the 6 designs. Nothing about personality, however, except for two: David Mitch Marshal, from the Natch Comic, and Jebediah Termite, who's basically my avatar.

Please wait for the new thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm 
Lv.23

You do understand that a lot of people will be going for Ducky that way, eh?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 pm 
Lv.7

Even I am going to try to be more original then that ^.^; So let's see what characters there are, and base it off what makes sense or is the most interesting, rather then "ooh, I like this person, so I want my character to like his/her character!". If you can't just help yourself, fine... but I can, so I can't see anyone else having major problems with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Admin

We'll see indeed. I was talking to Queeny, Loki, and a little of Seedlet last night and here's the idea of how everything is gonna go down.

This will work in three levels. The First two won't be anything big.

1. Map. Every person gets one building on the map to create. Keep in mind I'll prolly use them as settings in the story and the game. Put in as much detail as you like.

2. Character. Everyone get's to make one character for the story. (This doesn't have to be for the game, but don't worry about the game for a while. IT'll be a bit before I get to it.) Characters will be people that were "Called" to New Arkham. The city likes people who's world has ended. I'll get to that later.

I'll also put up a character map, BTW, so we can keep track of who is friends with who.

ALRIGHT
If all of that sounds complicated, don't worry about it, oki? You don't have to do either. This next part will be the main interaction.

3. Story. There will be a Story suggestion thread. Of course, I have my own ideas for the main plot of the series, but side stories are important for building up the characters and making our own weird soap opera.

For each story arch, I'll post a poll for everyone to vote on. It'll have 4 or 5 suggestions chosen by me, but everyone will get to have a say and I promise not to put more than 1 Main-Plot arch in the list. After that, We have a week to decide which story is next. I'll spend a day sorting out the story and such and get to drawing.

I've still a lot of work to do, but I'll try and get everything done and our first story line running by the beginning of next week. Why so soon? Because I'm excited about it, oki?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 pm 
Lv.17

Photo time.

Pretend the kitchens in the basement. I forgot about it.

PArlor

Showroom from the view of the private booths

view from parlor looking to showroom

the bar along the back wall

my character (BONUS POINTS to whoever can tell me who this real-life femme fatale is)

THe girls:

Whole decor is a little bit goth, a little bit steampunk, and VERY 1920s glam. Riproarin twenties.

Here's the photos of the building and grounds:

Anyway that's all i've got so far, I'll write a really great backstory and how the place got started, the history the building is steeped in (I have some great ideas for that) and the background of Miss Lyssa as soon as I get some time I have to get read for work it's friday night and it's going to be busy. Feel free to move this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Oooo! Photo's for reference!

I'll repost this in the Map Room, Ducky. Soon, I'll have a new Room in Natch Manor for the Arkhamites project anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Double Post!

Quick update so you guys know what the plan is on my end.

-This week, we will see a new room dedicated to Arkhamites. I want to take this project very seriously, you guys.

-We start taking Story suggestions later today or early tomorrow, as soon as the new room is up.

-The rest of this week, I'm going to do sketches and designs of Suggested Characters and all buildings. I've been researching old architecture styles. Might bug Goss for help.

-Finally, Voting for Story Arch 1 will start at the end of this week, on Friday, June 1st. It will continue until next week, and then I get started writing. After Voting for Arch 1, Voting for Arch 2 will start on Friday, June 8th.

Q: Why start Arch 2 voting so soon after voting Arch 1?
A: To build a small back log in case I need one.

To Restate, I'm taking this project very seriously and want you all involved, if you'd like.
If you have questions or worries, please please contact me.

Time Line Time!
(for tl;dr)

May 28th or 29th: New Room in the Forum. Starting Story suggestions. Will start design work for new characters and buildings.

June 1st: Voting will begin to determine Story Arch 1.

June 8th: Voting will end for Story Arch 1. Voting Begins for Story Arch 2.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 pm 
Lv.17

Room is up. Awesome.
I posted a cool story idea I thought up to celebrate. It's probably cliched enough, but hey. I can't think of anything it's overtly copied from. So, good enough, no?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:49 am 
Natch Necromancer

I'll try my hand at this, prohibition era knowledge is something I have little of. I guess we will just see what comes out.

Centrist. Fox is a lover of books and games. Often found writing.

His words may blend with the background on occasion.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Fox wrote:
I'll try my hand at this, prohibition era knowledge is something I have little of. I guess we will just see what comes out.

Any ideas are welcome here.

If you want a good feel for 1921, try reading things like any Lovecraft story, The Great Gasby (a fantastic book), or just think of something pre-1900's. After all, age isn't....right in New Arkham, so someone might be left over from medievil or pre-civil war period.

Me? To get in the mood, I google "1920's Men's Clothing" or "1920's Women's Clothing"
And interesting vision of the past.